This is my second attempt at the Grainline Moss mini.
The first was out of a super stretchy denim and for some reason, the crutch stuck out. Not a good look. I think the fabric wasn’t rigid enough? This one I love. I think it will look nice with tights a boots too
The only alteration I made was to make it longer without sewing the extension. I also sewed the back and front pieces including the waistbands separately, following this method.
The pockets are lined with leftover Liberty from a failed dress.
I’d love to make another in corduroy, however I haven’t come across any nice cord lately.
I made this simple top on the weekend. I am going to call it self drafted, but really I cut a t-shirt style and altered the neckline till it fit, to match an old Country Road t shirt I own. The fabric was a Lisa Ho drapey (but not particularly stretchy) knit from The Fabric Store. It is a lovely colour blue, but was a pain to sew. In the end I used heat and bond lite to tame the neckline finish and hem, which worked beautifully.
I wore it with jeans out for dinner, and have since washed it. Unfortunately, despite being prewashed, and hung lengthways on the line to dry, it has shrunk lengthways and is now somewhat midriff length. Oh well, on to better things, like my autumn winter sewing plans.
This is the first finished item of my sewing plan. I purchased the pattern after seeing Christy’s lovely version, and was even more inspired to make it when Leith blogged hers. The fabric is from Tessuti called Whitewater Rapids purchased at the last Sydney Sewers Social.
I cut a 16 and took a centimeter off the side seams, I will do the same next time because I needed the extra depth in the bust. I also cut 10cm off the bottom hem, though it’s not as short as it looks in the pic, I think I am leaning backwards. I also omitted the pockets as I don’t use them.
The dress looks fantastic, both the pattern and the print are very me. I plan to make another, in some black printed ponti also from Tessuti. Funny thing I’d seen this pattern before and thought of purchasing it, but thinking it was a wrap dress I avoided it for fear of wardrobe malfunctions, so I guess the moral of the story is don’t judge a pattern by its cover!
Ps. I should apologise for the headless shot, these were taken as my husband was on his way out and I had no makeup on and wet hair, I find getting pictures done such a challenge.
Suddenly in Sydney it has started to cool down. Autumn and winter have always been my favorite seasons, and I love cool weather dressing, boots, tights all of that.
So here are my sewing plans for the cooler weather.
2 casual knit skirts in floral ponti from Tessuti, and grey black striped ponti.
Moss mini in black drill
LEGGINGS McCalls 6173
What do you think? It’s a big list but I think it’s achievable. I also plan to not buy any clothes, but I don’t quite know if I am brave enough to take the seamless challenge, so I’ll see how I go with that one.
Those of you at the Sydney Sewers Social have already seen this. I made this dress specifically for the day and have worn it a few times since.
It’s a little creased in the pictures but the wrinkles drop out fairly quickly. I made a straight size 14, with no alterations. This isn’t my first vogue 8805, I made a ponti version last winter. The neck is a bit tight at the front, I didn’t have this problem in the ponti version, so if I make it again I will lower the front neck opening a centimeter or 2.
The pink linen was purchased from Tessuti in Melbourne last year, the others were in the stash a while.
A nice simple pattern for a quick casual dress.
This is my third version of Vogue 1250. I love this pattern. Whenever I wear it, I get compliments! It is a flattering shape for curvier girls, like me, but probably suits all shapes. My third version is made from this lovely pink animal print from Remnant Warehouse. I bought it about 6 weeks ago, thinking it would be perfect for this pattern.
I made a straight size 14. The fit is great, and the poly elastine fabric is the best fit for the dress. the only change was that I cut the back piece in two pieces rather than one to save fabric.
I previously made it out of two fabrics from Tessuti. The under fire version I wear regularly to work though the fabric is now a little faded, the other version was a mauvey landscape print, I don’t love, something about the fabric placement wasn’t right, so I binned it.
I see more of these in the future, but will try to hold off till next summer.
I had a bit of a sewing blitz on the weekend, it was lovely. I always feel so relaxed after some time at the machine. I made a couple of tops and have another nearly completed pair of pants.
The two tops were Grainline’s tiny pocket tank without the pocket. I made a 10 with a bit extra on the side. Because I am extra lazy I used purchased bias to finish the neckline and underarms. The fabric is a lovely cotton voile that I purchased at the fabric store a year or so ago, and attempted a dress out of, then salvaged.
On Saturday I felt it fit quite well. That said though, on Monday morning when I put it on for work it was way too snug, and by the end of the day I couldn’t wait to take it off because of the cutting in under my arms. I don’t think these changes were bra related, I think I must be retaining fluid, or simply having a fat day.
Overall it’s a great pattern and a quick cute top. On the version I have, the bust darts are in a line regardless of size, and are a touch high. When I make this again I will need to do a fba, or merely move the dart down, and do something about the armholes.
So I will have to save these tops for my next ‘skinny day’ or lose weight, or both. Hmmm